Tuesday, August 15, 2006

You heard it here first

I scooped them again.

WDAZ had a story on the Monday night newscasts about "new restaurants and stores" that are coming to 32nd Avenue South in the near future. As it turned out, they were talking about one new store - Ashley Furniture/Furniture Outlets USA - and one new restaurant - Golden Corral.

Golden Corral coming to town is still a news story? Many Grand Forks Life readers may remember when I first mentioned this restaurant coming to town...back in April. After I "broke" the story, it only took a day for the Herald to report the news, but it took 'DAZ four months. Four month old stories being paraded as news? Yikes! (Tu-Uyen must be loving this WDAZ bashing...)

As far as Ashley Furniture/Furniture Outlets USA coming to town...is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that this news seems to have been out there since early June, but 'DAZ airs a report less than a week after I first "broke" the story?

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: I don't mind WDAZ or the Herald using this blog as a source. Actually, I take it as a compliment. I get a little snicker every time I see the story I just "broke" on this blog show up on TV or in the paper the next day.

Ok, I'll admit that the traditional media outlets would find out about new businesses sooner or later even if there was no Grand Forks Life. However, sometimes it seems like it would be more "later" than "sooner" without this blog. How many times can I scoop you guys!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny - I especially find if funny when the Herald reports on a new business coming to town when they themselves have been advertising job openings for months in their classified section. I guess they should just read their own paper and they could break news on their own...

Tu-Uyen said...

Hey GFG, you're providing a great service for area news consumers, so keep it up. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more analysis, either. For example, why chains are so fond of the south end and non-chains so fond of downtown and the north end.

Don't give DAZ too hard a time on not crediting the blog. Reporters have to go straight to the source, which means calling these companies. Sometimes they don't want to talk to media but they might talk to you. But giving you credit is something like giving us, the Herald, credit. We're secondary sources.

Ben: That's yet more proof that reporters don't work very closely with advertisers. Remember that the next time somebody accuses the Herald of not covering something to please our advertisers.

Rick said...

Good job, as always.
I love the little reader in the sidebar!